Picking out the best waterproof hiking shoes to idealize your desiring hikes, why not? When hiking, you have to face up with lots of unexpected troubles. It’s time high-quality shoes will take effect in protecting your feet from downpours and jerky splashes on terrains.
Especially with the contoured design, they will help ease the distress of your foot due to long journeys as well. While hiking is becoming more and more popular, these waterproof hiking shoes also consolidate their prevalence on the market.
These must-have items are responsible for keeping your feet comfortable and dry while providing excellent grip so that your feet aggressively grab terrain, especially during steep climbs. No wonder why both casual and serious hikes are greatly concerned about them.
To help you better pick out a high-quality product that mostly suits your personal preferences, I’ve done lots of research and ended up with this article on the 17 best waterproof hiking shoes on the market. You don’t want to miss them.
- Why You Need Waterproof Hiking Shoes?
- What Is the Best Waterproof Hiking Shoe?
- Comparison of Top 17 Best Waterproof Hiking Shoes 2020
- Top 17 Best Waterproof Hiking Shoes Reviews in 2021
- 1. Salomon Men’s X Ultra 3 GTX
- 2. Columbia Men’s Crestwood
- 3. Oboz Men’s Sawtooth II Low
- 4. Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Vent
- 5. The North Face Ultra 109 GTX
- 6. Columbia Men’s North Plains Ii
- 7. Keen Men’s Targhee Low Vent
- 8. Arc’teryx Aerios FL GTX
- 9. Adidas Outdoor Terrex Swift R2 GTX
- 10. Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent
- 11. HOKA ONE ONE Women’s Tor Tech Mid
- 12. La Sportiva Men’s Spire GTX
- 13. Salomon Women’s X Ultra 3 GTX
- 14. ALTRA Men’s Lone Peak 4
- 15. Salomon Men’s X Raise GTX
- 16. Danner Women’s Trail 2650
- 17. Keen Women’s Terradora
- Choosing the Best Waterproof Hiking Shoes – Buying Guide
- How to Clean Waterproof Hiking Shoes?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- My Top Picks
Why You Need Waterproof Hiking Shoes?
I’m pretty sure only newbie hikers wonder about these kinds of stuff. Because experienced hikers have been long aware of the importance of these waterproof hiking shoes. If you’re a novice, let’s take a look at some main reasons below.
First, these hiking shoes, whether falling in waterproof boots or waterproof sneakers type, work as protective outfits for your feet. They provide an adequate level of protection to keep your feet away from rocks and debris on the trail.
Second, these shoes provide reliable traction to keep you upright on your trails, especially if you’re wearing a heavy waterproof backpack. If you ‘re headed for rugged terrains with steep descents, it’s vital to prepare shoes with an all-terrain grip to keep your feet stable.
Last but not least, these shoes are made of a waterproof membrane, commonly utilizing the Gore-Tex technology with the upper treated with a water-resistant coating. The waterproof protection will keep your feet dry while splashing through puddles or walking in muddy terrains.
Some might worry about breathability. They assume that waterproof shoes won’t breathe well and keep moisture in to create a humid condition, making your feet uncomfortable, especially during summer. However, these shoes are actually not 100% waterproof.
These waterproof hiking shoes often feature the breathable mesh liners thanks to the Gore-Tex membranes. They “sacrifice” some levels of waterproof to provide a more breathable environment for your feet and thereby a greater comfort for your long hikes.
What Is the Best Waterproof Hiking Shoe?
If you’ve been convinced that this investment will be worth it all. I’m here to provide you with a shortlist of some of the best waterproof hiking shoes which are top-rated on the market. Let’s scroll down.
- Best Overall: Salomon Men’s X Ultra 3 GTX
“100% synthetic, rubber sole, surrounded with foam cushioning, featuring two different types of rubber and the descent control technology, under a 2-year warranty.”
- Best Budget: Columbia Men’s Crestwood
“Made of waterproof mesh and leather, rubber sole, feature the Omni-TECH Waterproof bootie construction with the Techlite lightweight midsole.”
- Best for Men: Oboz Men’s Sawtooth II Low
“Feature the unique O-fit insole, the abrasion-resistant nubuck leather upper, the dual-density EVA midsole, and the sawtooth outsole.”
- Best for Women: Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Vent
“Made of pigskin leather and mesh, rubber sole, feature the protective rubber toe cap and ventilated mesh liners, reinforced heel cushioning.”
- Best for Wide Feet: The North Face Ultra 109 GTX
“Made of leather and waterproof mesh, synthetic sole, feature the protective TPU toe cap, Compression-molded EVA midsole and the PU-coated leather upper.”
- Best Under $100: Columbia Men’s North Plains Ii
“Rubber sole, features the seam-sealed construction and the protective toe cap, better support with padded tongue, and collar.”
- Best for Summer: Keen Men’s Targhee Low Vent
“Made of nubuck leather and waterproof breathable mesh, rubber sole, easy lace adjustment with speed hooks.”
- Best Lightweight: Arc’teryx Aerios FL GTX
“Made of waterproof and breathable textile, feature the minimal design, lightweight, abrasion-resistant toe cap, ankle support.”
- Best Rated: Adidas Outdoor Terrex Swift R2 GTX
“Made in the USA, made of synthetic and waterproof mesh with TPU overlays synthetic sole, the bungee lace-up system for a snug fit and quick adjustments.”
- Best Waterproof Hiking Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis: Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent
“Made of suede leather and waterproof mesh, synthetic sole, feature the closed-cell foam tongue and the protective toe cap, heel cushioning to provide greater comfort.”
- Most Comfortable: HOKA ONE ONE Women’s Tor Tech Mid
“Made of synthetic textile, feature the lace-up closure, the dynamic RMAT midsole and the durable textile upper, greater support with the padded collar.”
- Most Durable: La Sportiva Men’s Spire GTX
“Feature the abrasion-resistant upper, the TU TechLite toe cap, the Ortholite insole and the Compression-molded EVA midsole, ensuring the best durability.”
- Best Value for the Money: Salomon Women’s X Ultra 3 GTX
“100% synthetic, rubber sole, designed for women’s anatomy with an asymmetrical chassis maximizing stability and reducing fatigue, feature two types of rubber for more advanced grip.”
Comparison of Top 17 Best Waterproof Hiking Shoes 2020
Take a look at this comparison table below, I’ve done lots of research on the top 17 best waterproof hiking shoes and compare some of their main technical criteria. Hope this table helps you better distinguish them.
Top 17 Best Waterproof Hiking Shoes Reviews in 2021
The 17 best waterproof hiking shoes on my list are surely the most innovative footwear with high-tech waterproofness on the market. To see which one suits your preferences the most, let’s flick through my full detailed reviews on each of them below.
1. Salomon Men’s X Ultra 3 GTX
(Best Overall – Editor’s Choice)
The right shoe is judged on its durability and comfortability for the wearers. Being researched and developed based on this criterion, the Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX Men’s Waterproof Hiking Shoes are worthy of being the best waterproof hiking shoes in the world.
Thanks to the 100% Synthetic material and the reinforced top arm of the sensitive, which is surrounded by foam cushioning, these waterproof hiking shoes will provide your feet with maximum comfort. Besides, an optimal fit also is a strong point for these shoes.
Furthermore, the two different types of rubber and a specially patterned area on the outsole also help the shoes ensure stability, durability, and give you more control when you are on challenging terrain.
Put on your waterproof gloves, strap on your waterproof backpack and enter the Salomon X Ultra 3, you’ve got everything ready for your enjoyable hike.
- Two different types of rubber on the hole supply water-resistant and durability
- Making your foot feel comfortable thanks to 100% Synthetic material with a foam cushioning
- A particular patterned area on the heel remains stability
- Two years limited warranty
- The shoe sizes are a little narrower than other regular shoe sizes
2. Columbia Men’s Crestwood
With the price quite reasonable for many people along with excellent quality, it is not wrong to say that the Columbia Men’s Crestwood Waterproof Hiking Shoes will be the ideal choice for everyone who loves hiking.
These shoes come with Lightweight cushioning that provides softness and a combination of suede leather and synthetic upper along with tech lite midsole and Omni-GRIP outsole that makes your foot feel comfortable and ensure durability.
Moreover, the Columbia Crestwood also include the rubber sole, which is slip-resistant and very breathable thanks to seam-sealed construction. All these factors help these shoes endure all kinds of weather and terrains.
- High-quality materials ensure the durability
- Water-resistant and very breathable
- Enable to endure all kinds of weather and terrains
- Lightweight cushioning that provides softness
- Reasonable price and various colors
- A little bit slippery
3. Oboz Men’s Sawtooth II Low
(Best for Men)
The Oboz Men’s Sawtooth II Low Waterproof Hiking Shoes will impress you with their Waterproof nubuck leather & highly abrasion-resistant textile upper that ensures durability and softness while letting feet breath.
Furthermore, these shoes are also noted for their sawtooth midsole and outsole that are made with a dual-density EVA, thru-hiker cult favourite, classic Oboz and provide your feet with maximum comfort, cushioning and stability.
Besides, the specific shape and the steady construction that are good at the arch, heel support and keeping your feet dry also bring these shoes a lot of plus points.
- Waterproof nubuck leather & highly abrasion-resistant textile upper that ensures durability
- Softness and breathable
- The dual-density EVA midsole provides cushioning
- Especially suitable for men
- Keep your feet dry and stable
- The rubber toe may be worn out
4. Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Vent
(Best for Women)
If you are looking for a suitable waterproof hiking shoe for women, this Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Vent will be your go-buying product thanks to their dynamic but femininity designs.
Being made from durable leathers comes along with the breathable mesh lining and Molded nylon arch shank, these shoes will guarantee the quality and bring your feet extra comfort but breathability.
Moreover, thanks to the EVA midsole, the Merrell air cushion in the heel, and the closed-cell foam tongue, the shoes can absorb shock, add stability, keep moisture and debris out and enhance softness.
- Absorb shock, and add stability thank to the Merrell air cushion in the heel
- Keep moisture and debris out and enhance softness
- Various colors available
- Bring your feet extra comfort but breathability
- A little heavy
5. The North Face Ultra 109 GTX
(Best for Wide Feet)
Being designed with a bold style, like sports shoes and the using size 11.5, The North Face Ultra 109 GTX will support you with maximum protection underfoot and Become the ideal choice of comprehensive feet person.
These shoes come with a synthetic sole, the PU-coated leather upper, and the higher-cut models that promise to provide you with versatile performance, lightweight, and durability.
Moreover, the various sizes, the protective TPU toe cap, and UltrATAC™ rubber outsole also make The North Face Ultra 109 GTX become more quality and attract more buyers.
- Extremely comfortable especially when hiking
- The synthetic sole provides water-resistant
- The ideal choice of wide feet people
- PU-coated leather upper supports your feet
- Light and durable
- A bit lack in stability
6. Columbia Men’s North Plains Ii
(Best Under $100)
It is hard to find a quality waterproof hiking shoe that not only has a reasonable price but also durable and comfortable. Have both of these factors, the Columbia Men’s North Plains Ii will be a smart choice.
With the waterproof seam-sealed construction comes along with the Omni-Grip non-marking traction rubber, these shoes will allow you to have much enjoyable hiking without worrying about terrain and weather.
Furthermore, the tech lite lightweight midsole with the webbing, leather, and textile upper and the scratch rubber toe cap will show you the superior cushioning, maximum foot protection, and stability.
- Reasonable price
- The tech lite lightweight midsole with the webbing protects your feet
- The Omni-Grip non-marking traction rubber helps reduce weight
- Provide maximum comfort and stability
- Durable and breathable
- Are not fully water-resistant
7. Keen Men’s Targhee Low Vent
(Best for Summer)
With Mesh panels for breathability that help breathable in warmer environments along with a youthful but straightforward design and luxurious colors, the Keen Men’s Targhee Low Vent deserves to be the ideal choice for summer.
These shoes will provide you with high durability, and extra softness thanks to the shaft measures approximately low-top from the arch, the cushioned collar, and the reinforced eyelets, which is easy to adjust.
Moreover, the Non-marking rubber outsoles that ensure the stability and durability, the rubber sole supplies slip-resistant and the Injected TPU heel capture system also become the helpful features of the Keen Targhee Low Vent.
- Mesh panels for breathability
- Provide high durability and extra softness
- The rubber sole supplies slip-resistant
- Suitable for the warmer environment especially in the summer
- Light and weather-resistant
- Vulnerable stitching
8. Arc’teryx Aerios FL GTX
With a simple but trendy design and ridiculous lightweight, it comes no surprise that the Arc’teryx Aerios FL GTX Waterproof Hiking Shoes are highly appreciated by many people who love minimal weight and flexibility.
These shoes are rated to be one of the lightest waterproof hiking shoes thanks to the Aerios FL GTX that delivers the comfort and support for light and fast hikes on challenging terrains and the gore-tex, which are fully protective environmental shelter and weather-resistant.
Furthermore, these Arc’teryx Aerios shoes also made from breathable materials that help regulate temperature but keep mosquitoes, insects away, and protect the designs for remote and varied conditions.
- Simple but trendy design
- The Aerios FL GTX that delivers comfort and support
- Fully protective environmental shelter and weather-resistant
- Breathable and keep mosquitoes, insects away
- A little less impressive in off-trail traction
9. Adidas Outdoor Terrex Swift R2 GTX
Produced by long-established brand of sporting instruments, it is not surprising that these Adidas Outdoor Terrex Swift R2 GTX Waterproof Hiking Shoes become one of the most appreciated shoes by users.
These shoes will impress you with the reasonably rigid design, including a Synthetic sole and rubber sole that promise to provide you with obvious-great quality, maximum protection, breathable, and help prolong the lifespan of these shoes.
Besides, the Adidas Outdoor Terrex Swift R2 shoes are not only loved by lightweight thanks to high-quality materials but also by the durability, stability, and weather-resistant that could stand firm in all types of weather and all-terrain.
- Lightweight and weather-resistant
- Durability, stability for a low-cut design and breathable
- The synthetic sole and rubber sole that provides you with obvious-great quality
- Being made from high-quality materials
- A little less smooth than other shoes
10. Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent
(Best Waterproof Hiking Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis)
People who suffer from Plantar Fasciitis are usually more cautious in choosing shoes. What do they need? A pair of shoes provides premium arch support and great heel cushioning to gently embrace your feet and relieve the heel pain while wearing.
You don’t need to do further searches because the Merrell Men’s Moab 2 shoes are born to help you solve this problem. These shoes feature the increased arch support to reduce arch hurting while the supportive heel cushions will help relieve stress on your foot.
Besides, they offer the roomy toe area with the ventilated mesh lining so that your feet can rest in an ideally comfortable environment. Not to mention these shoes are designed as waterproof so that your feet will remain cool and dry under rainy conditions.
- Feature the breathable mesh lining
- Protective rubber toe cap with plenty of toe room
- Closed-cell foam tongue to prevent water penetration
- Relieve stress on your foot thanks to the heel cushioning
- Excellent arch support your hikers suffering from Plantar Fasciitis
- The traction provided by the outsole is not ideal for serious hikes
11. HOKA ONE ONE Women’s Tor Tech Mid
Women prefer to search for super lightweight and ideally comfortable shoes, especially if they are headed for outdoor activities like hiking. If you are, let’s pay attention to the HOKA ONE ONE Tor Tech. They are the answer for your enjoyable hikes.
These shoes feature the breathable eVent membranes. This type of waterproof membrane is supposed to be more breathable and quicker to dry than commonly used Gore-Tex membranes. Your feet will be able to leisurely rest in a cool and comfortable environment.
Besides, the RMAT midsole will provide you with the excellent elasticity and super lightweight support. Meanwhile, the outsole made of Multi-directional sticky rubber lugs will ensure ideal traction for your steep climbs. Let’s enjoy fun and safety during your hikes.
- Feature the durable textile upper integrated with ventilated waterproof eVent membranes
- Provide lightweight responsiveness with the RMAT midsole
- Offer a smooth transition with the premium traction
- The soft padded ankle collar providing greater support and comfort
- Limited in colors options (only one available)
12. La Sportiva Men’s Spire GTX
Are you craving for a pair of waterproof hiking shoes which are born to last for years of wear? If yes, you don’t want to miss the La Sportiva Men’s Spire. These shoes feature the durable mesh upper, which utilizes the premium Gore-Tex waterproof technology.
Besides, they offer added waterproofness with the lace-up closure system, which simultaneously provides a secure fit for these shoes. The ortholite insole works as a comfortable footbed for your feet to rest in.
Meanwhile, the EVA Compression-molded EVA midsole offers an extra layer of protection to prevent featuring shock-absorption and the Vibram outsole provides you with reliable traction on any sort of terrains.
- Feature the durable, abrasion-resistant mesh upper
- Utilize the Gore-Tex waterproof technology
- Lace-up closure targeting a secure fit
- The ortholite insole provides premium comfort and support
- The Compression-molded EVA midsole offers a shock-resistant layer of protection
- Seems a bit too tight at first and takes time to loosen up
13. Salomon Women’s X Ultra 3 GTX
(Best Value for the Money)
We all expect to get our investment pay off, the same for a pair of waterproof hiking shoes as well right? With the Salomon Women’s X Ultra 3 GTX, you definitely get what you pay for.
These heavy-duty shoes are made of 100% lightweight synthetics and designed to accommodate women’s anatomy.
Extra traction from the specially patterned area on the outsole, combined with a specially designed asymmetrical chassis will provide women with better stability and minimize fatigue of long hikes on rugged terrains.
Besides, as other hiking shoes from Salomon, the outsoles of these shoes feature two different types of rubber so as to attain more intense grip. Women will be at ease during technical descents.
- Made of 100% lightweight synthetics
- Feature the special design for women’s anatomy
- Utilize two different types of rubber to achieve more intense grip
- Grab terrain more aggressively with added traction from a specially patterned area on the outsole
- Come under a 2-year limited warranty
- The toe box is not very roomy
14. ALTRA Men’s Lone Peak 4
If you’re headed for wet, muddy terrains to hike, waterproof hiking shoes are vital. Let’s consider the ALTRA Men’s Lone Peak 4 which feature the 100% waterproof eVent upper. They will be your reliable companion whether in uphill climbs or downhill descents.
They feature the Hook-and-loop tab, which is specially designed on the outsole to prevent dirt and debris from building in chunks beneath your shoes. You will be at ease while cleaning them. This is definitely a plus point for the ALTRA manufacturer.
Besides, these shoes also offer your feet plenty of toe room so that your toe can move more flexibly and thereby help reduce blisters due to long hikes.
- 100% waterproof
- The upper features waterproof eVent liners
- The outsole is designed with the Hook-and-loop tab to prevent debris building in chunks beneath your shoes
- The multi-directional outsole provides a great grip whether on tame or technical terrain
- Your toe can spread out relaxingly with the reinforced toe cap
- The waterproof membranes might get ripped after a limited time of wear
15. Salomon Men’s X Raise GTX
The Salomon Men’s Raise GTX will impress you with their modern and athletic look. But they do not cheat you. These shoes can really work as sport shoes. They are as super comfortable as regular tennis shoes.
These shoes will give you substantial support with the reinforced heel and protective toe cap while keeping your feet cool, dry with the Gore-Tex membranes. They also offer a lightweight feel so that you can easily and comfortably pass through any puddles on the terrain.
Besides, these Salomon shoes offer an exclusive quicklace system which allows you to quickly adjust your shoelaces and achieve an utmost fit.
- Greatly support your feet with the reinforced heel and protective toe cap
- Feature the waterproof Gore-Tex membranes
- Stand out with the athletic look
- Lightweight construction
- The quicklace system allows straightforward adjustments
- Can be used as sport shoes
- Not very breathable
- The stitching is not very durable
16. Danner Women’s Trail 2650
Another pair of women hiking shoes is the Danner Trail 2650. These shoes ensure to be a must-have item for any fashionista who loves outdoor activities. You soon become a big woman fan of these shoes.
They feature the durable upper made of lightweight leather and textile. Be integrated with the waterproof Gore-Tex technology, these shoes feature breathable liners which offer your feet a cool and comfortable environment to rest in. Your hike would be more enjoyable without the distraction of soggy shoes.
Besides, the strengthened external heel counter will provide better heel support to relieve stress for your back feet. Meanwhile, you will feel extremely comfortable with the premium OrthoLite insole and receive lightweight support from the EVA midsole.
Don’t need to ask for their quality, what you need to do is just pick out a Danner Woman pair of your most favourite color option. They deserve to be added to your shoes collection.
- Stylish design
- Made of lightweight, durable leather and textile
- Feature the Gore-Tex technology with breathable liners
- Heel support with the reinforced, external heel counter
- The OrthoLite insole offers comfortable cushioned footbed
- The EVA midsole is lightweight and shock-absorbent
- Available in multiple trendy colors
- Only recommended for women with narrow feet
17. Keen Women’s Terradora
The last product on my list is a pair of Keen Terradora waterproof hiking shoes designed for women. These shoes feature minimal design with a variety of neutral color options, allowing you to mix with your casual outfits and get ready to go out during rainy days.
Besides, these shoes come in sturdy construction while still very lightweight while walking in. The Metatomical EVA insole also provides your feet a comfortable cushioning to relaxingly rest on. You also get increased comfort with the roomy toe box as well.
If you’re a woman who follows minimalism, you should take these highly rated shoes into consideration.
- Provide great arch support
- Feature the Metatomical EVA insole ensuring a comfortable footbed
- Lightweight and sturdy construction
- Offer roomy toe box
- Neutral colors for daily use
- The outsole features the non-marking design
- The upper part is a bit stiff
Choosing the Best Waterproof Hiking Shoes – Buying Guide
No one wants to walk in a pair of ill-fitting boots. To make sure your selection turns out to be a perfect fit, let’s carefully consider some critical factors below.
The material of this part will result in your shoes’ breathability, durability and waterproofness. The three main materials fall in leather, waterproof membranes and synthetics.
Generally, leather naturally resists water. Sometimes its surface is covered with a waterproof treatment as well. Leather shoes are durable, stylish but not very breathable.
Waterproof membranes are the most common material for waterproof shoes. Shoes featuring these waterproof-tight layers have dominated the market, thanks to their excellent waterproofness and breathability.
Synthetic material is not naturally waterproof. But people would love to mix and match it with some certain chemicals to make it waterproof while utilizing its original quality. Synthetic shoes are supposed to be lightweight, flexible and affordable.
Midsole is commonly made of EVA foam and Polyurethane , responsible for absorbing shock. Therefore, it provides comfort for your feet and determines the stiffness of your shoe.
EVA foam midsole is lightweight, affordable and provides greater comfort than the other one. Meanwhile, Polyurethane forms a stiffer construction for your shoe and relatively more durable over time. These more heavy-duty shoes are intended for your on-or-off-trail travel.
This part’s material and construction will determine your shoe’s traction. Generally, this bottom part is made of rubber or synthetics.
Rubber outsole is elastic, comfortable, shock-absorbent and water-resistant as well. It will work as a stable base for your tough-terrain climbs. However, hiking shoes with rubber soles are heavier and not very durable.
Meanwhile, synthetic outsole will offer you a more lightweight feel but it is not very compromising to provide you with ideal traction.
How to Clean Waterproof Hiking Shoes?
After your hike, if your hiking shoes look very mucky, let’s follow my guides below to thoroughly clean them.
First, you need to prepare: a boot rush or an old toothbrush is still fine, a specialized shoes cleaner or an appropriate mixture of dishwashing soap and water. Remember do not replace dishwashing soap with a bar soap or detergents.
Second, remove the laces and take the insole out. If they are smelly and dirty, give them a wash with a little dishwashing soap then let them air-dry.
Third, use your brush to brush off all the chunks of dirt. A stiff-bristled brush will better help you get into small cracks. Dislodge any pebbles stuck on the outsole, better use a hose to quickly wash them away.
Fourth, rip your brush into your prepared mixture and scrub off any dirt and muds left on your shoes. For embedded dirt, try to scrub a bit vigorously.
If you’re using a specialized cleaner, first let your shoes get wet under clean water then directly apply the cleaning gel on your shoes surface and scrub off debris as usual.
Last, rinse your shoes thoroughly to get clear of all the dirt and soap and then let them naturally air-dry. Besides, if you intend to spray a waterproof coating or apply a waterproof treatment on its surface, make sure you do it when your shoes are still wet.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Below are some of the most commonly asked questions related to waterproof hiking shoes you may want to know.
Are Waterproof Hiking Shoes Worth It?
Deciding to go for challenging and tough hiking requires a pair of shoes that deliver ruggedness, high durability, and lightweight. The waterproof hiking shoes will be the choice that can meet all your demands.
Thanks to the lightweight, the water-resistant, and weather-resistant that helps to perform better in moderate rain and heavy snow without making your foot wet or cold, the waterproof hiking shoes are worthy of being indispensable tools for every long journey.
Can You Wear Hiking Shoes Everyday?
As a shoe designed to bring the most pleasant feeling to the wearer, of course, there is no problem if you wear these hiking shoes every day. But because of their water-resistant and weather-resistant, these shoes are a little airtight and wouldn’t be the best choice in some cases.
The best way to use these hiking shoes is to wear them when you are facing the surveying terrain such as rocky, sand, long distances,… and under extreme weather events, including moderate rain and heavy snow.
How Long Does It Take to Break in Hiking Shoes?
Your feet will suffer from blisters and chafing if you do not break the shoe properly. In contrast, if you spend your time breaking in a new pair of hiking shoes, you will enjoy greater comfort and convenience they bring.
A standard pair of hiking shoes will take from one to five weeks to break them in thoroughly, depending on the construction and the material of the hiking boots.
When Should You Replace Hiking Shoes?
The best time for you to replace your hiking shoes is every three to six months or after walking about 350 to 500 miles, depending on usage. This milestone may vary slightly depending on the material and the type of hiking you enjoy.
When it comes to sound quality hiking shoes, they might be fine until they reach 500 to 1,000 miles. That means if you use your hiking shoes on average 10 miles a week, it will take you 2.5 to 5 years to replace the new ones.
Should Hiking Shoes Be Tight or Loose?
Hiking shoes should provide you with comfort and help you to move with no difficulty. As a result, a hiking shoe shouldn’t get too loose to avoid giving space for the feet to move around in or too tight to make sure your feet are not hurt and remain breathable.
A small tip for you when choosing hiking shoes is to go up half a size if you are a person who loves thick socks to add more space for them.
My Top Picks
Whether you’re a novice or an advanced hiker, finding high-quality waterproof hiking shoes is needed to ensure fun and safety for your vigorous walks. I hope with my detailed reviews and other helpful information above, you can pick out your most satisfactory hiking shoes.
If you’re still wondering, simply go for the best overall one – Salomon Men’s X Ultra 3 GTX. These shoes will protect your feet from water entry and propel you uphill and keep your feet aggressively grabbing terrain when approaching steep descents.
Besides, if you’re a new hiker preferring a cost-effective pair of waterproof hiking shoes, I recommend you take a look at the Columbia Crestwood. If you have plantar fasciitis and still want to hike, go for the Merrell Moab 2 Vent.
Other waterproof hiking shoes also offer different outstanding points in the design. It comes down to your own preferences to decide which one accommodates well your specific demands.
Lastly, if you have any questions related to those traction pads above, feel free to leave your comment below. If possible, press the button share on Facebook and Twitter. It would be a great encouragement for me. Thanks for reading.